Picnics are a great way to enjoy nature while you are eating. I love having picnics with my kids. It gives me more time to bond and enjoy outdoor sports with them and the best part is…..less mess, minimal cleanup.
Traditional picnic foods like fried chicken and potato salad can wreak havoc on your diet. You can still enjoy having a nice picnic without jeopardizing your waistline.
The most important thing to remember is to make it easy and keep stress level low. Try using ingredients that are easy on the go.
Prepare in advance & make sure to have all the prep work done before you go. This way you can be relaxed and have more time to enjoy with your family and friends.
7 Simple & Healthy Foods for Picnics:
- Guacamole, Black bean hummus, Yogurt w/ mint and cashew nut dip are great to use with veggie sticks or tortilla chips
- Ready prepared salads are easiest. Pre- wash the lettuce and have all the individual items in separate bags ready
- Tabbouleh Salad or Quinoa salad are great for hot summer days
- Cheese cubes
- Great snack to have with grapes or strawberries
- Trail mix
- Mixed nuts combined with seeds are a great mix for munching
- Berries and melon family are not only enjoyable, but hydrating
Infuse your water with cucumber, lemon, mint, strawberries, or ginger for a refreshing taste
- Entree on the go
Sushi, wraps (smoked salmon wrap) or veggie burgers, tuna salad w/ lettuce wrap. Just make sure to put everything in a cooler.