Carbohydrates provide our body with its main energy source -glucose or blood sugar.
Carbohydrates help regulate protein and fat metabolism, form the structural make-up of the cell walls, are important for our immune systems, fertility and blood clotting.
Making sure we are eating enough complex carbohydrates will provide the body with an abundance of dietary fiber and minerals.
Complex carbs are unrefined whole grains, vegetables & fruits.
Beans and legumes also have a carbohydrate component.
- Complex carbs help a slow even release of glucose into your bloodstream helping the body maintain energy for a longer time.
- Provide an abundance of essential nutrients, most of our vitamins and minerals come from eating whole plants foods.
- Dietary fiber which help keep cholesterol levels optimal, aids in the removal of toxins, supports healthy bowel function, helps to maintain optimal weight and keep steady blood sugar levels.
Keep is to eat a wide variety of colorful vegetables and fruits.
How much fruit & vegetables a day?
- 2-4 cups of leafy greens daily- example; kale, spinach, chard, collards, romaine &salad greens
- 1 cup-2 ½ cup crunchy veggies daily-example; broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cucumber &celery
- ½ cup -2 cups unrefined starches daily-example; yam, sweet potato, winter squash, rice &quinoa
- 1 cup or medium piece of fruit-2 cups or 2 medium piece fruit daily example; bananas, apples, berries, grapes &citrus
GREEN VITALITY SMOOTHIE
- 1 cup romaine chopped
- 2 cup leafy dark greens (kale, chard, spinach)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 banana
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 cup coconut water (unsweetened) or nut-milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp flax or chia seed
Blend till smooth.
- Romaine-Romaine lettuce rich in chlorophyll, vitamin K, vitamin A, C, B1 and B2. It is also rich in manganese and chromium. Romaine is very hydrating and low in calories.
- Blueberries- Blueberries are very rich in flavonoids making them a great source of antioxidants, vitamin C, manganese, and dietary fiber. Blueberries are great for eye health, digestion and the urinary tract.
- Cucumber– cucumber are rich in vitamin A, C and folic acid they are rich in silica which strengthens our connective tissue they are also filled with potassium and magnesium. they are super hydrating and toning to the digestive system.