Makes 2 cups
2 cups water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
4 ounces (1/4 block) silken or firm tofu
1 to 2 scallions
2 tablespoons red or white miso paste
Optional: can add swiss chard or kale to up nutrition
- Cut the tofu into very small cubes, 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch on each side. Slice the scallions very thinly.
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat.
- Place the miso in a small ramekin or measuring cup. Scoop out about 1/2 cup of the broth and pour it over the miso. Whisk with a dinner fork or whisk until the miso is entirely dissolved in the water and no lumps remain.
- Pour the dissolved miso back into the simmering broth.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the tofu to the miso. Simmer just enough to warm the tofu, 1 to 2 minutes. Do not boil the miso once the tofu has been added. (If adding optional greens, add before adding the tofu).
- Just before serving, scatter the scallions over the top of the soup.
- Pour the miso into individual bowls and serve.